Various forms of therapy exist that can help people with mental health disorders and addiction overcome their challenges. Working through the damage from addiction with addiction therapy programs is vital because it enables your brain to heal. It also provides strategies for dealing with symptoms, stress, and hardships in general. Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) is one of the evidence-based therapies we offer at Paramount Recovery Centers.
What Is Dialectical Behavior Therapy?
DBT is a type of cognitive-behavioral therapy. It is often used to treat addiction as well as some types of mental health disorders. This therapy works to teach people how to think differently about their life right now. Some of the most basic goals for this include:
- Learning to live in the moment instead of worrying about the past or the unknown
- Developing better methods for coping with stress
- Better regulating emotions to achieve more appropriate outcomes
- Communicating more effectively with others
- Build stronger and healthier relationships with others
This is all accomplished in individual and group therapy sessions during treatment. It is a good way to embrace thinking processes for most people, enabling people to gain better control over their emotions.
Techniques Used in a Dialectical Behavior Therapy Program
A range of techniques exists to help people to learn these skills. A therapist first provides an assessment to determine which strategies may help a person. Then, he or she may employ some of the following strategies.
- Core Mindfulness: Mindfulness skills are very important because they teach people to stop thinking about the “what if” and start focusing on what’s really happening right now. That means using the senses to make better decisions.
- Distress Tolerance: Another concept is building up a person’s tolerance to distress. This is done by teaching people to accept themselves and their situation through the use of distraction, self-soothing, or improving the current moment.
- Emotion Regulation: This strategy focuses on navigating feelings in an effective manner. This is done by better understanding negative emotions like anger and reducing the way that emotion impacts a person.
DBT & Sober Living
When DBT is used, a person may gain a great deal of improvement in their quality of life. People in sober living programs can definitely benefit from having access to DBT. It can help with acceptance and change, enabling a person to make improvements without feeling stuck or unable to do so. It may also help with developing better support structures in their life so when there is a need, they can get the help necessary. Much of the work within a dialectical behavior program is meant to help change beliefs and behaviors that are not helpful or accurate. It’s an empowering way to help people through tough times without turning to negative behaviors such as using drugs or alcohol.
A Good Therapist Makes all the Difference
At Paramount Recovery Centers, we offer a comprehensive DBT program that can help you manage stress, anxiety, and addiction. By using this strategy with our well-trained and experienced therapists, you’ll have real strategies for dealing with stress when you’re at home or work. It’s an empowering feeling to know you can control your outcome more fully.
This is one of the therapies we offer because of how effective it can be. Other therapies we offer include:
- Mindfulness stress reduction
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Evidence-based therapy
- Motivational interviewing therapy
Embrace Treatment – Contact Paramount Recovery Centers Today
Dialectical behavior therapy is one of the core components of the treatment plan we offer at Paramount Recovery Centers. It is not the only level of care we offer, but it can give you the support you need to build a stronger, more confident future in addiction recovery. Learn more about this and our other services by filling out our online form.